Confidence needed to climb to the top
Julian Botha, a determined woman who climbed the ladder in Working on Fire. Juliana Botha, a single mother to two boys, grew up in the rural area of Friemersheim – Huis van Vriende in Mosselbay. She joined the WoF programme in 2004 as a fire fighter and worked her way up to becoming the Personal Assistant to the General Manager and Assistant General Manager.
“My confidence and brave demeanour has opened many doors for me within the WoF programme. I can say that I am a strong woman who overcame the many physical and mental challenges that came my way through the training and leadership role I played within WoF,” she says while speaking to WoF News.
Juliana stated that she enjoys the WoF programme as it recruits many individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds and those who have lost hope in a future due to the environment they live in, especially women.
Here’s a look at her journey in WoF:
- Recruited in 15 April 2004 as a fire fighter
- Promoted from fire fighter to crew leader on
30 July 2004
- Promoted to Health and Safety Officer Assistant in December 2012
- Promoted to Admin Controller for the Western and Southern Cape Region in
- Successful completion of her part-time studies at Damelin- Business Administration with funds out of her own pocket;
- Promoted to be the Personal Assistant to the Western Cape GM/AGM in April 2015.